By promoting an international curriculum, globally-focused events, and education abroad opportunities for students, faculty, and staff, the Center for International Studies engages Western’s campus community in thinking and acting globally.
The Center for International Studies serves Washington State by providing internationally-focused educational experiences that prepare students to be global citizens and by supporting faculty and staff who are engaged inter-culturally. To that end:
- CIS works with academic programs to integrate global perspectives into the curriculum via cross-listings, new offerings, the GUR requirements, and the International Studies minor;
- CIS collaborates with international partners to diversify the campus community and to connect with institutions and individuals in other parts of the world;
- CIS recruits and advises international students who contribute new insights, talents, and experiences to the larger Western community;
- CIS endorses faculty efforts to conduct research and to teach in other cultures so that they might integrate those experiences into their professional life at Western;
- CIS advises students who participate in education abroad through faculty-led programs, service-learning or internship opportunities, approved study programs, and exchanges.
- CIS works with campus partners to coordinate and to streamline the mechanisms that make international experiences part of a Western degree.